Retirees Dental Plan FAQ
Thank you for your interest in the above plan.
Plan Features include:
You may choose to be covered under this plan starting on the first day of any future month. You will find an enrollment form and bank authorization form by clicking Enrollment Forms in the menu above. The benefits outline can be found by clicking Plan Details. Below is a list of commonly asked questions about the plan.
Note: The above information is intended to be general in nature. In all cases the provisions of the contract will apply.
To qualify for this dental plan you must (A) be receiving or about to receive a pension (eg. OAS, CPP, or former employer), and (B) be a resident of Canada. You may still be actively employed.
You may choose to be covered under this plan starting on the first day of any future month.
No. It is a private, strictly voluntary plan.
The plan in administered by RMS Retirement Management Services Ltd. in Victoria, BC, Canada.
Green Shield Canada handles the claims part of the plan. They are a not for profit corporation which began in 1957 in Windsor, ON.
For enrollment, banking, address and plan changes, contact the plan administrator, RMS Retirement Management Services Ltd. Because of the overwhelming response to this plan PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT Green Shield Canada until you are a member of the plan. They will be unable to answer your questions until that time.
Fees are paid monthly by pre-authorized cheque from your bank account. Plan pricing and coverage are reviewed each year and may be changed June 1st for all members, regardless of how long they have been on the plan.
Annual payments are not possible at this time due to administrative reasons. You will be notified if annual payments become possible.
The fees for this plan are an eligible medical expense on your income tax. You may be able to claim them.
You pay your dentist directly and claim from Green Shield Canada or have Green Shield pay him/her directly and then pay the difference. The dentist will provide the Standard Dental Claim Form needed.
The plan pays 70% in the first year and 80% thereafter for the services covered according to the current provincial dental fee guide. If your dental provider charges above this rate, you are responsible for the difference.
When the cost of your dental work is expected to exceed $300.00 on one claim you must have your dentist ask for pre-approval from Green Shield Canada before work begins. Please refer to the plan benefits for details. This does not mean your coverage is limited to $300.00. There is no overall limit on the total amount you may claim for the services covered.
There is coverage after 12 months on the plan for crowns, bridges and new dentures at 50% up to $600.00 per person over a 12 month period. Orthodontics are not covered.
Yes, but not all services provided by denturists. Please check the plan benefits for details.
Yes, as long as the pensioner has coverage under another plan such as current employment, DVA etc.
Yes, as long as you have been living together for at least 12 months.
Yes, to the end of the year following their 21st birthday, or to the end of the year following their 25th birthday if enrolled in full-time attendance at a college, university or institute of higher learning.
You may add them when they lose coverage under their present plan or at the next anniversary date of the plan.
You are making a minimum commitment of one year.
Coverage begins on the first of the month you request but is subject to written confirmation from Green Shield Canada.
No. A deductible is a basic yearly charge that you pay before you may make a claim. This plan does not have such a charge. This is different from co-insurance which is 70% in year one and 80% in year two.
Yes. Preferred Provider Vision Network Arrangement
As a Green Shield plan member, you have access to our national preferred provider vision network arrangement where all Green Shield plan members are eligible to receive a discount on eyewear and laser eye surgery.
Features of this great value-added service for either eyewear or laser eye surgery include:
1. Offer applies to any Green Shield plan member, regardless of whether you have Green Shield vision benefits or not;
2. The vision provider may bill Green Shield directly; the plan member just pays any portion of the expense not covered under their vision benefit;
3. Trustworthy retail chains with convenient locations;
4. The discount offer applies to everything such as all extra coatings, upgrades and accessories;
5. Hundreds of the latest frame styles to choose from plus the latest lens and coating technology;
6. Professional opticians to assist in selecting products;
7. For some vendors, this offer applies to non-disposable contact lenses only (excludes disposable contact lenses).
Visit our website at greenshield.ca or call our Customer Service Centre at 1.888.711.1119 for information on the vision providers.
How to Submit Your Vision Claim
1. Present your Green Shield Identification Card as proof of being a Green Shield plan member.
2. The vision provider will apply the appropriate discount(s) to your claim and may submit the claim directly to Green Shield for payment. You pay your vision provider any balance not covered under your vision benefit.
3. If no vision benefit exists, you pay your provider the full balance owing after the applicable discounts have been applied.
E. & O. E.